July 20, 2009

No Boundries!!

In sports there are some athletes that excel, some that do good, some that are OK and some that just cant pick it up. There are many factors that go into becoming good, hard work, dedication... But all that does nothing if you have no belief in yourself.

When I played little league baseball I was a roller coaster each year on how well I played. One year I would pitch and play short stop, hit home runs no prob, then the next I would be out in right field and strike out at the plate more than girls do with Brandt! Looking back I notice a pattern on why I was like that... I had the skill both years, but what changed was a coach that believed in me, that made me believe in myself. There were only 2 years I did not make the accelerated team, both years I was coached by a coach that did not believe in me. And coincidently I did not believe in myself and played badly those years.

When I started wrestling in 9th grade, my 2nd year I was good enough for Varsity. Over the next 2 years I beet a lot of people that I should not have... I did not know at the time who they were. I did not know the big names. I just went out every match with a clear mind that I can win... half way through my Jr year I started being one of the elite wrestlers for my weight and I realized that when every week they would talk about me on a local radio station and always chose me to beat my opponent. I started knowing wrestlers, and names of good wrestlers! And I realized that when I knew the wrestlers were good I would subconciously think I could loose... And I started... I really noticed that I was doing this when during the summer of my JR and Sr year I was invited to Nationals... I did not know any wrestlers from the east coast or who they were... And in that tournament I beat 2 wrestlers that were nationally ranked... I was far from being. But I did not know till my coach told me after. I had to work on mental mindsets my Sr year to make sure I did not psych myself out.

In sales 90% of making the sale is not what you say but how you say it.. your confidence in what you say and what your selling, people can pick up when you don't believe the words you are saying...

Well recently I have had my eyes opened that I have fell back into one of these mental mindsets! I have had a rough few months, and a few situations that made me self confidence and belief in who I am change me. Its almost like I would look into a mirror and see the Turpy in my head and not the one actually looking back at me, and slowly I fell back into a state of mediocrity.

One of my favorite quotes I have always tried to remember is by Zig Ziglar. He said: "You are the only person that can cap your potential"

There are many things that can make us put a cap on that potential... The people we hang out with, if I hang out with someone who is negative... sooner or later I will become a negative person. Your thoughts, I don't think many of us realize but the things that go through our mind all day some how find a way of showing up in our lives. If every day we are thinking that we are worthless sooner or later we will let ourselves become worthless.

The biggest obstacle we all face in staying positive is fear.. fear of rejection, fear of the unknown, fear of failure... But failure, disapointment and rejection are all part of becoming great. They should not be things that are feared. If we overcome these things we will all become things we never imagined!

Every time I need help over coming this, I think if the Micheal Jordan video

Go to http://turpyworld.blogspot.com/2009/07/no-boundries.html to watch video if your in facebook




I know I am capable of great things and I will not stop till I become... With help from friends and overcoming these "fears and mindsets" I will succeed!

1 comment:

  1. Stay positive. I can tell the normal Turpy is wanting to shine, but I can see that you have been down as of late on yourself. Not all things are easy to shine through, I can say that myself from my experiences.. it is good people/friends that make you feel that way! :) You are the bomb.com man, I brag about you to all my friends. thats how much you mean to me. much love~!

    ReplyDelete