January 8, 2009

Bunco.... Not only for old ladies!!


I recently received a invitation to be part of a elite group of gamers! When the invitation was extended the only memory that i had of the great American game of Bunco was my mother getting together and playing with all her old woman friends! I didn't think that game was even played anymore except in retirement homes! But me being someone that will try almost anything out before he bashes it (like i did with the twilight movie) I figured i would give Bunco its fair shot!

I went over to some friends of my buddy Brandt! It was a larger group of which i did not know anyone! When the game was explained to me i cought myself thinking to myself, what have i got myself into? Then the games started... Soon i was captured by the Bunco rush! I was the first to get a Bunco, and i did it in a matter of munites! The addrenalyn started rushing and i soon found myself getting into it! Keeping track of my longest streaks and plotting to be on the opposing team of those that were ahead of me just so i could pass them! There are 4 prizes in Bunco... The most Buncos, most wins, least wins (looser prize) and a traveling bunco that goes from player to player durring the game with each Bunco. Who ever has it when the game ends takes the prize! As the last round started i was 1 win behind the leader and tied in Buncos and i had the traveling bunco! Sitting at the high rollers table I could smell the victory! As we played my team soon found ourselves winning that round and adding another W on my wheal of success! it wasnt but 10 sec before the last round ended that someone got bunco and took the traveling Bunco from me! At the time i was worried about my sweep not being a possibility. But after when i realized that the traveling prize was a box of tampons i soon felt like i dodged a bullet! After the round was over we tallied up all scores and i found myself Tied in wins and buncos... Through a series of intence tie breakers i was declaired the champ for both catagories! It was a sweep in my books! I may not have won the traveling bunco, but i won for the person that had the most Buncos, which i find better, and the most wins! That is like the Championship Belt! As i claimed my prizes i could hear people in the back chanting my name!! .... TURPY.... TURPY.... TURPY.... TURPY!!! (it may have just been brandt) i wanted to be hoisted on everyones shoulders and carried out to my car like a champ! The rocky theme song started playing in my mind! And as we left i walked by the b-ball court at the complex... The same Court that i got Ronnie Price (a NBA player) out in a game of dodgeball! This was just one more great champion memory that i added in my book of Village on the Parkway!

That being said! I am not a fan of Bunco! I will even go play with my mother and all her old ladie friends next time they play! I love it! Cant get enough of it! And quite frankly i am the best at it! The end.. Roll credits!!

7 comments:

  1. did someone say michael phelps? It was like and the winner for... Most Bunco's Turpy, winners for wins... Turpy.. etc it felt like the Olympics all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turpin..I can just see it, you playing Bunco with a bunch of old ladies and actually enjoying yourself! I'm sure everyone there was chanting your name..you probably weren't imagining it!

    ps you may be the champ at bunco, but lets face it I rock at clue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turpy, I'll admit I thought I had mad skills at this women's game (we play once a year with my wife's fam) but I can see that I dont hold a candle to you. Well done. However, you never know, maybe that box of women's products could have helped out one day... like if you spilled a drink on the ground and you were out of napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and about Ronnie Price and dodgeball. That's the greatest feat I've heard for a while. If I were you, I would bring that up in every conversation... ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what you don't know ri-bone, is that he does bring up the Ronnie Price dodgeball feat up in every convo. in fact tonight, we were at ward prayer at our new singles ward, and turpy had to say it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. but can you blame me? I mean when was the last time you got a NBA player out in a athletic event.... yeah thats what i thought!! Expect it to keep comin up in every conversation! It has for the past 2 years and will continue for at least 2 more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turpy, if I was you I would call people out of the blue to to say... "Hey, remember how I got Ronnie Price out in dodgeball that one time"? and then hang up.

    ReplyDelete